10. Toilets that have two flush options -- a half flush or a full flush. Saves an enormous amount of water I'd think and something that California should look into. No the buttons are not labeled #1 and #2.
9. Free Circular City Tram that loops the CBD and makes getting around fun and easy.
8. Free Tourist shuttle bus to show off many of the lovely sites and help us get oriented.
7. Great coffee...Starbucks just isn't gonna cut it for me. Gotta have my long black in the morning and a white flat in the afternoon.
6. Great food and all kinds of it -- except Mexican.
5. Great scenic views of the city skyline, the Yarra river.
4. Wonderful parks and botanical gardens.
3. Terrific weather though I know everyone here wants, needs rain. It's interesting to note that most of the watering systems around the public buildings have been turned off. And, I' heard today that they're thinking of cancelling the football season because they cannot sustain the grass fields in this draught.
2. Great architecture...so many buildings just beg to be photographed. I've obliged.
1. The people, the people, the people. Time for that standing ovation now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
John, thanks for the heads up about your blog; Gail just emailed me. I'm caught up with your adventures now, and will RSS. Sounds like a great trip, good for you guys. Please tell Jay I say hi, and keep that writing going.
-dale
ok so I won't comment on the versatility of the toilet flushing action going on in au. the funny and the obvious has already been stated.... so is the white flat the equivalent of a latte? I could use one of those at the moment.
post some photos if you get a chance jay... get a good scary great white on camera if you can. :-)
Loving your commentary, John. You have a special gift for capturing the essence of the place and should get into travel commentary.
I've heard it said that Australia resembles the USA in the 1950s. Your comments confirm what I remember growing up in that era. Today, I just about got wiped out (blindsided) stepping off the curb on a green walk sign by a crazy looking guy on a bike coming down a one way street in SF (but the wrong direction!!!). Bet that doesn't happen that often in Melbourne. You're in a time warp...I hope you take it in for all eternity.
Uncle Naked
Post a Comment