I'd signed Jay and I up for a walkabout in the Blue Mountains before leaving CA. Specifically we were going with a company called Wildframes Ecotours and they offered a 3 hour hike through the "grand canyon."
We were picked up at 7:50 am in front of a nearby hotel and then joined by about 12 other tourists picked up at other locations in the city before making the 120 km drive to Kartomba. The first challenge was escaping the Sydney rush hour traffic. We were going counter-commute but it was still slow going for about 45 minutes until we broke free.
It was overcast and last night there had been a significant thunderstorm front roll through. It was unclear what today's weather would bring. Our first stop was a large park area that offered multiple ;picnic areas but we weren't there for a picnic. We were there for the kangaroos. And we weren't
Then onto the hike proper after a stop in Blackheath to pick up sandwiches. The hike was rated as moderately strenuous...not because of the length, but because of the vertical descent and then of course the climb back out. The trail was a well maintained series of stone steps, paths, stepping stones through stream beds and a whole lot of beautiful sights. Lots of ferns and cliffs. Think Jurassic park and you've got the picture.
It was great. I am sore. I loved every minute of it. Film at 11.
3 comments:
Okay, now I'm getting envious. Sounds beautiful! And fun! And full of animals! Have you seen any wild parakeets yet (budgies, they call them)? I think a bounce of kangaroos is much more appropriate than a mob of kangaroos. Love, Gail
You went on a walkabout?? That is awesome. Good thing you're not in a wheelchair, I hear they don't like those. (...Ask Jay if you need explanation, that wasn't a jab at your arthritis!)
That sounds really great, though...just what you came for!
uncle naked here...
I've been following your saga with keen interest. I particularly like the part where one's physiological woes shift from one side to the other when you cross the Equator. (Good one, Jay. You almost had me believing you for a moment!) Being a car guy, I'm interested in whether the Aussies drive anything like our Muscle Cars...big V-8s and stuff. I've heard that the Holden is the Aussie counterpart to the Chevy. Or do they drive rice burners like most folks back here in CA? Also, no mention of topless beaches on your part, so you wre either editing carefully or not watching closely...
Over and out.
Post a Comment